CSAH 1 – Rice County
Notice of Road Closure (Rice County – 4.11.2018)
Rice County contemplates CSAH 1 construction concerns (Faribault Daily News)
Bid Summary: Heselton Construction, LLC was awarded the CSAH 1 Reconstruction contract on March 13, 2018.
Last updated 4.2.2018
- Weeks of April 2, 2019 and April 9, 2018
- Tree clearing, expected to take 2 working days to complete. Flaggers and shoulder/lane closures in the immediate vicinity of the work will be utilized. Drivers along this segment of CSAH No. 1 (110th St) should expect minor traffic delays.
- Utility relocations (electric, gas, communications) to begin. Drivers along this segment of CSAH No. 1 (110th St) should expect minor traffic delays associated with crews/equipment working on the relocations.
- Start April 30, 2018 –
- CSAH 1 (110th St.) will close to thru traffic. See Rice County press release for full road closure details.
- November 3, 2018 – Completion date for all work with the exception of:
- Final wear course paving on CSAH 1
- Aggregate shouldering
- Final pavement markings
- Minor grading and shaping
- Spot location turf establishment
- Other minor or miscellaneous work
- Final Completion July 20, 2019
CSAH 1 Improvement Project is focused on identifying a reconstruction plan for CSAH 1 between State Highway 3 and State Highway 246. CSAH 1 is an important roadway serving both a regional function across Rice County and a local function with connections between the steadily growing residential and commercial areas of Dundas, Northfield, and Bridgewater Township. The existing pavement on CSAH 1 is in poor condition and in need of repair. Rice County has begun planning for a reconstruction of CSAH 1 in 2018 to address this need. Because CSAH 1 is also an important roadway to the communities in this area, Rice County initiated discussions with Northfield, Dundas and Bridgewater Township representatives earlier this year to gather their input on additional needs a CSAH 1 project could address.
County State Aid Highway (CSAH) 1 is a minor arterial roadway providing an important east/west regional function between Interstate 35 in Rice County and State Highway 52 in Goodhue County. In addition to this regional function, CSAH 1 also serves a local role by providing connections between the steadily growing residential and commercial areas of Dundas, Northfield and Bridgewater Township between State Highway 3 and State Highway 246.
Currently, the pavement on CSAH 1 is in poor condition and is in need of rehabilitation. This 1.6 mile corridor has 21 public and private access points. Many of these accesses do not meet current design standards nor meet recommended access spacing guidelines. While the overall CSAH 1 corridor does not have a significant crash issue, there are a few locations experiencing more crashes than expected (when compared to similar facilities). Crash data for the Highland Parkway/Farrel Avenue intersection with CSAH 1 was reviewed and showed there is not a crash issue at this location; however, concerns about safety at this intersection have been expressed. There are currently no pedestrian/bicycle facilities along CSAH 1 yet residential development and pedestrian destinations (i.e., schools, YMCA, retail land uses)are located within walking/biking distance of the corridor. Traffic volumes on CSAH 1 are approximately 4,000 vehicles per day and are anticipated to almost double within the next 10 years, nearing the roadway’s capacity threshold.
As the areas surrounding CSAH 1 continue to urbanize, the demands for additional local access and pedestrian/bicycle facilities and crossings have the potential to conflict with the safe and efficient movement of traffic on CSAH 1 in its current configuration. Considering Rice County’s overall funding levels and limited available right‐of‐way along CSAH 1, it will be difficult to address more than basic improvements to the corridor without local and/or state agency partnerships and funding participation.
For questions, contact the CSAH 1 Project Manager:
Mat Thibert, PE
Civic + Culture
Food + Industrial +
Public Works +
Sports and Recreation +